Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Beautiful Sunday

Saturday and Sunday were more relaxing days. On Saturday the plan was to go to our science professors beach house across the bay and have a fun, hot, beach day. But because this has been the worst weather ever in NZ, it was a rainy cold day :). So we ended up walking around the shops and I bought an island dress for 50% off! Four other girls bought dresses too and we all wore them to church the next day. After shopping we went to the theatre and saw one of the only movies playing, Dr. Seuss The Lorax. It was a darling movie!

Funny story. Once we got back to our X-Base hostel, we went into the kitchen to make dinner. I had made my soup and went to sit down in the lounge area to eat it, while everyone else was finishing making their food. There were a bunch of boys sitting on the couches watching a movie and some girls were on their computers. With my luck :), I happened to look up right as one of the boys was goofing off with his friend and had pulled off his pants to shake his bum in front of his friend's face. Luckily I was able to look down quick, grab my food, and leave the room before the boy turned around. One white bum was enough for me to see for the day! I'm telling ya. . .X-Base is the greatest place to be (notttttt). 

Saturday night was crazy though because we all went out on the beach at night. It was Stacey's birthday, so in celebration we got on our suits and ran to the beach. It was dark and cold outside and we ran into the water screaming together. The coolest thing was when we were in the water it would GLOW. We found out that it was because of a chemical reaction from a certain "organism" in the water. Happy Birthday Stacey!

On Sunday we woke up to go attend morning mass at the Anglican church down the road. But....we got the time mixed up and weren't able to attend. Instead, we walked around and inside the church and then went and sat at the beach. It was a beautiful, PEACEFUL morning. I was able to walk along the beach and see the sun reflecting off the waves as they moved on the sand. It was so calming and relaxing to be there with my friends on a Sunday morning. I wish we had beaches back home so that I could do that every Sunday. 

We attended the closest branch (it was a branch because there were not enough people in the area to have a ward) for church, and then were invited over to a members home for dinner afterwards. I'm telling you, the people here are so welcoming and loving of others. Who in their right mind would want to invite 20 girls over for Sunday dinner that they don't even know? The Browns wanted to and they were so kind as they made us fried bread (scones) and yummy apple sponge pudding. We were also able to sneak onto the Waitangi treaty grounds and were given a tour by one of the Brown's daughters, who does the tours for her job during the week. 
Bought me an island dress on sale!

The shop was so cool because it had a MILLION
different types and styles of dresses. 

Rainy Saturday. . .not good beach weather like we were hoping.

So let's go to the movies!!!


I bought myself this new bag for only $20. I bargained it down cus I have
my bargaining skills from when we go purse shopping in New York :).
This shell sculpture was cool so I got a picture in it!

Seeing The Lorax which was sooooo cute!

We stopped at this cool chocolate store that smelled like REALLY
STRONG chocolate, yuck. Sorry mom. I was going to buy you some
but it was all way expensive and I didn't know if it would make it
on the plane ride home.

Haruru Falls is kind of like a miniature Niagara Falls!




Our small pool and hot tub. We spent a lot of time in the hot tub telling
stories while trying to stay warm, because it was too cold of water,
or trying not to get burned because it was too hot of water!

Sunday morning. . .so beautiful!

We tried to attend morning mass for fun, but we mixed up the times. 

At least we still got to go inside.



I kind of blend in with my new dress on!


Nothing like a Sunday walk on the beach.


Kirsten and I in our new dresses.

And this is where we sat and tried to take in all the beauty :).



All together.

In our NEW dresses!! See all the different styles from one store.

Our little church building. At church we met a woman that was 104
years old
. It was crazy!!! I can't believe someone could be that old and
still living!

These are NZ's type of Roman noodles and I had them every day for
lunch and dinner. I still love them!

Brother Brown and his yummy fried bread. It is so good with NZ Golden
Syrup!!

In the Brown's house it is a family tradition for new
people to introduce themselves. They have to stand on
the hand made table and tell a little bit about
themselves and then sing a song!

After this is done, you are ALWAYS welcome at the
Brown's house anytime you need somewhere to stay.

Mikaela and I sang the itsy bitsy spider :)


We snuck on the grounds on a Sunday....but the Brown's daughter
works there so we figured it was ok?? haha

Waka. A Maori warrior canoe. This is the largest one.

I love the intricate designs.


This is the tree that was cut down to create that waka. These trees can't
be cut down anymore. 


One big tree!



NZ flag!


Maori Marae

I love all of these Maori carvings. 

Notice how my shoes are off. Maraes are very sacred
and our shoes have to be taken off outside to get inside.



Apple Sponge Pudding. We ate this up so fast. It was so yummy. 

I can make it now!! Thank you sister Brown.

I'm going to try and make this too when I get home. It is the kiwi favorite
ice cream. Everyone is obsessed!! All the girls in my group LOVE it.
It's actually not too bad. 

Yummy yummy fried bread recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment