Wednesday, January 4, 2012

First Day of BYU classes in NZ

Today we started our first day of BYU classes. We are signed up for 13 credits and we have to get all of them done in three weeks. It is going to be insane haha. We have classes pretty much all day long and then we come home and do our homework that is due the next day. It is sad because we are here in NZ and have to sit inside most of the day, but it will be worth it (I guess) to just get this out of the way so we can tour and teach afterwards!

We have to walk to school each day, but it is just in our chapel that we have church at each Sunday so it is only a 10 minute walk for us four girls. A lot of the other girls down here with us, staying with other host families, have a lot longer journey to get to our church. We lucked out! :)

Here we are, getting ready to go to school!

haha we're such dorks walking to school

Devotional before class starts

My roommates: Me, Brooke, Margo, Brittany

Our schedule for the day.
For the first section of class we learned all about the Maori culture
and the land of NZ. We were taught a lot of Maori and NZ words,
sang a lot of fun cultural songs, played with the Rakau sticks
(which is a game where you hit sticks to a beat--part of the Maori
culture), and learned/practice the hongi greeting which is where
you shake hands and touch foreheads and noses together. We got
introuble during the hongi because we were giggling,
which you're not supposed to do.

The one in the blue is our NZ teacher. It is cool getting taught by somone
with a fun accent. (Our BYU instructor who is over us is
Dr. Cutri in the black!)


We learned NZ national Anthem today but I couldn't really
do the Maori part haha

Our "school" which is our church in NZ
Sweet litle Dia, I can't get over this girl. We found out
that everyone has nicknames here in our host family.
Phillip goes by Phil, Adia goes by Dia,  Josiah goes by
Siah, and Richard goes by Richi!
Our host family dad Phil and his three kids bouncing on the
tramp. He is so cute with them.
Our first day at the beach yesterday. It lasted about 20 mins because it was
SOOOO COLD! The weather has been rainy and not so hot lately.
They said it has been weird summer weather so far. It was sunnier
 today though. 

Is she not the cutest thing?



The Skytower in the city of Auckland.

We had Fish and Chips for dinner last night. These are
also found on every corner in NZ along with bakeries.
Don't worry, I ate the sausage and fries haha. 

Cleaning dishes after dinner each night. It is fun to eat dinner with our
host family!
First day here. All packed and moved in! We actually lucked out with our
place. A lot of the girls said they have had really dirty rooms, but ours is
really pretty nice. 

Everything is so expensive here, it's insane!!!! 

Yes mom :) I bought myself a watch. It was driving me
crazy not knowing what time it was because I don't
have my cell phone. Now I just need to work on
telling the time with this kind of clock haha, oh boy!
When it rains in NZ it's way random. One second it will be sunny and
pretty, then the next thing you know it's POURING, then its gone again!

Grocery Shopping for our lunch and breakfast foods.

Tanisha, our host mom, was like, "do you want me to take your picture?"
She's just use to crazy BYU girls coming down here wanting pictures of
pretty much everything haha!

And on that note. . . I found the Doritos section. We can't buy them
though :( :( they are too expensive. I'm telling you, everything here
is SUPER expensive. Oh well, I'll just have to wait and eat them in
three months!

The amazing fruit of NZ! It is really fresh and really yummy. These little
markets are all over the place. 

Oh what an adventure. 

7 comments:

  1. Mandy I feel so sad, can i send you extra money so you can buy some chips? I don't think you will survive 3 months without your chips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the little details and pictures Mandy. It almost feels like I am there with you. Love love love the ocean picture...so beautiful! What a Heavenly place to finish up your schooling...and with such nice girls. Keep smiling. Love you tons!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness mandy. I am so jealous right now! Keep the posts coming! Even though you'll be super busy for the next 13 weeks. :) I want to hear everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the picture, Mandy! You're so good at getting things posted! I'm impressed! I'm with Janae--sad that you can't get Doritos! Maybe we all need to start a Mandy's Doritos Fund and send you what we collect! :) Good luck with your watch--you should have gotten a digital one! Haha! You'll be a pro with telling time on a regular clock face by the time you get back! :) I love the pictures of all you girls together--you're all so cute and happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandy, You need to go to One Tree Hill. It has a fantastic view . I used to play with the sticks at recess, it is fun. Be careful when you give a hongi. They also use this to tell what you have been eating and drinking. Sometimes the men do it so hard they get a nose bleed. (a manly thing to do). I can read the maori words.(I can't understand what I read but know what the letters say.) Enjoy the culture. You will never find more loving people then the people there. I am envious. My family always plans on having fish and chips as our first meal when we visit. You will never taste better fish then over there. I don't like fish but love it there. I wish I was there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janae! Don't worry I will be on a doritoes fast until get home in April, I've already cried a couple of times but I'll be ok. haha jk!

    Gentri!! Thanks for following! I will definitely keep you posted. I hope you are doing well.

    Momma :) I will keep smiling and having a great time. I hope that you like the blog, I have been making a lot of it so that you can see everything I am up to so you don't worry!

    Cyndy. haha I don't know how I'll live without the chips but I will just have to endure right? ugh. haha. But the watch is a STRUGGLE man oh man I need to get better at reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. moana! I think we are going to go visit one tree hill so that will be way good! And that is so fun you played with the sticks, they were way fun to learn how to use and play with. I will be careful with the hongi, hopefully I won't have to really do the breathing in air thing that much. And I am working on the fish. I still haven't had any real cooked fish other than the fish and chips, so I will keep you posted!!

    ReplyDelete