Thursday, January 12, 2012

PAKnSAVE, "sweet as!" :)

We have found a new love in NZ haha. Ok not really, but we do go to this store A LOT. It is just right up the street from our house and we either have to go grocery shopping with Nisha, or we just like to go in and see all the different foods that the Kiwis love (a.k.a. New Zealanders. I don't know if I mentioned this, but people who are from NZ call themselves kiwis after their national bird the Kiwi). I think it is so fascinating to learn about this new culture and the way they live their lives. It is fun to hear their accents in the store and hear mums say stuff to their kids like, "do you want to ride on the trolley dear", which if you remember means shopping cart. Or my favorite was when I was putting something back on the shelf and a worker came to help me by responding "sweet as, cheers!". I didn't know I could learn so much by just going to the grocery store. :)

"Sweet as" has been one of my favorite new words here. It means like "cool" or "awesome" and Phil says it all the time! I don't know why all of us BYU girls like hearing it, but it is probably because it just sounds way cool.

Good ol' Pak n Save
You can't really tell in this picture, but when you cross
the road in NZ you have to go into these middle of the
road sections where you wait until it's ok to cross again.

This one had an actual barrier, but most of the time it is
 just these white lines with a blue arrow sign in the
middle of the road where you run to, wait until it's safe,
and then run again to the other side of the road. 
It's weird to just wait in the middle of the road as the
cars are ZOOMING past you. It kinda freaks us out
sometimes. 

The Hot Pies again! Yumm
I'm sad because the coloring didn't really work out too well on my camera,
but all of the cheeses here are white. They don't have the yellow cheese
that I eat all the time back at home. The cheese is also VERY STRONG
here. I'm not used to strong cheese so I don't like it, it's too much for me.
But my roommates like it and a lot of the other girls in the program love it!
The juices we have every night for dinner and every morning for breakfast. 
My favorite thing here because it tastes the most similar
to home than any of the other foods we have had so far.
It's Raisin Bran :), but called Sultana Bran here. 
Chocolate covered marshmallows. Phil LOVES these things. He had us try
them on the first night we were here. Yes I tried a bite, and yes I still do
NOT like chocolate. We think that people in NZ like marshmallows or
something because a lot of the treats have marshmallows in them. 
I still can NEVERRRR get over the prices here. These
are hams that are expensive as you can tell. The one in
the back is $108.99!!! Phil says one of the main things
he misses about the States is the cheap price of good meat.

Chicken Chips. Yup that's what they are called and that's what they taste
like. They are REALLY popular here in NZ. We've had them for dinners,
at devotionals, and at lunches so far. They taste like you are eating KFC's
chicken. I can eat about two and then I'm like ok, I don't want to eat a
chicken along with my sandwich, I just want DORITOS!


You can tell they are PRETTY popular!
Strawberry, chocolate, lime, banana, and cookies n'
cream flavored milks. Lime...really?

Don't mind me, I look great I know lol. But look at the size of that BUTTER.
(It might look normal from that angle, but it's just THICK, it really is huge!)
I wonder what Paula Dean would say...she'd be in heaven. 

This is New Zealands Famous Soda. It just tastes like a
watered down sprite to me...but everyone here seems to
love it. 

This is also a very popular drink here in NZ. I guess it's like a hot chocolate
type of drink. 
I mentioned this before, but you have to pay for each
sack you want to put your groceries in. Hopefully
you don't have a lot of groceries or your gunna have
to pay for a lot of bags. haha well Nisha just brings
like real bags that she can re-use so she doesn't have
to pay for these ones each time. 


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot to put these ones up too that I got from a friend. 

The slides at the "water park" we went to. 
The stick game that I talked about a while ago where you tap
the sticks to a Mauri beat with a partner. 

3 comments:

  1. I love your posts mandy. :) And ya, that road thing would freak me out too!! Yikes! haha! I have a good blog friend who lives in new zealand. It's called This Little Port. Super cute blog.

    OH! And there are two guys from new zealand in my YSA ward and they told me about "sweet as" the other day. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the cultural things you put up, Mandy! What a great experience you're having!! I love that phrase, sweet as, too--it just sounds cool! Maybe you could start that up here, when you get back! :) Love and miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute, manDYYYYYYYYYYYY. love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete