Monday, March 19, 2012

Bitter Sweet

I only have 2 days left of teaching my favorite New Zealand kids. I can't believe the time has flown by so quickly. Thursday is going to be the hardest day to say goodbye to my class. I don't want it to come.

Here are a couple of videos of my class.

We start each morning by me calling the roll and then my students get up and do their Karakia (prayer) and then Wiata (song). I love hearing their voices :). (sorry I zoomed in and moved around so much, I was trying to get my kids faces.)



Here is a video of my class doing my hip hop dance that I made up and taught to the school a couple of weeks ago. My teacher has had them practice it at least twice a week in class, so they won't forget it when I leave (the rest of the school just practices it on Thursdays during lunch). My class has gotten it down really well!!! I'm so sad my camera died during it :(.



I never realized how fast I would become attached to the kids in my class. They have truly taught me more than I could teach them. They are so kind, funny, happy, energetic, curious, and loving. I'm going to miss their smiles, hugs, and "Kia Ora Miss Welch" from them everyday. What a wonderful experience I have been able to have here in New Zealand.

Today a boy in my class, Amon, came up to me and was like, "Miss Welch
my mom gave me some money today. I have a $1.00 so I can buy you an
ice block (a.k.a. Popsicle)!!" I told him that was way nice of him but he
should use that money to buy HIMSELF one (since he has very little).

So he went and bought the ice block and ran it up to me with the biggest
smile on his face. "This is for you Miss Welch!" I definitely had to
hold back crying. These kids have so little and yet are willing to give
anything and everything they have. I LOVE THEM!

I'm going to miss my kids. 

6 comments:

  1. Mandy those kids are so incredible! I can definitely feel the love you have for them and they have for you in return! I watch them do that hip hop and my mouth seriously drops open. They "all" seem to have this natural rhythm that I remember struggling to learn growing up. Its one thing to do the moves but totally different they way they can relax and get into it! The way they already just flow with the music is amazing! AMAZING! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nae I know! They are honestly all just naturals with dancing. It is amazing to me. They honestly picked up the dance SO quickly and do so well with it! I am having a really hard time thinking about leaving them tomorrow. lol. It is going to kill me. I love them all so much.

      Delete
  2. I love all the new posts. I want to comment on all of them, but should really go to bed... Your kids are incredible. They are so sweet even though they come from such humble backgrounds. What an incredible experience to get to learn from them. Your teacher is hillarious with her rules about entering the room! I think that is so funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are so sweet Nessa! I love all of your comments. Thank you for taking the time to keep up with me and my adventures. I have loved being here teaching these kids and having this experience. My teacher is definitely one of a kind and I have loved being able to teach with her. I thought her rules with entering the classroom were hillarious too, oh man! I love NZ.

      Delete
  3. I love seeing the kids do their dance!! I kept wishing I could see you doing it too, though! :) I will always miss seeing you dance! :) That's so very sweet that that sweet little boy gave you the ice block!!! Wow!!! They really do seem like such giving, thoughtful, loving little kids!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks cyndy! don't worry...i have a lot more videos with me dancing with them and them doing the whole thing. i just haven't posted them all. haha. and i know...when Amon gave me that ice block I about cried. they are so sweet and loving! i already miss them and it hasn't even been a week yet!

      Delete