Tuesday, March 13, 2012

If you lived in New Zealand. . .(Part 2)

If you lived in New Zealand. . .
. . .you would SAY. . .

Letterbox instead of. . .
Mailbox


Mince instead of. . .
Hamburger meat


Fizzy instead of. . .
Soda


Ice Blocks instead of. . .
Popsicles


Throaties instead of. . .
Cough drops


College instead of. . .
High school

This one was particularly confusing because before we came to NZ we
were told that our host dad Phil teaches English at the college. We all
thought that he was a college professor. Then when we got here we figured
out that college meant high school and we were very less confused. He's
a high school English teacher. . .got it!



Footpath instead of. . .
Sidewalk


Jandals instead of. . .
Flip-flops
this is one of my favorite words :)

Takeaways instead of. . .
Fast food


Porridge instead of. . .
Oatmeal

Lollies instead of. . .
Candies or Candy
I love this word too....especially when the kids say "Daddy can I have
some lollies?!"


Rubbish instead of. . .
Garbage. . .

I know I repeated this one...but I just LOVE this word. They
say it ALL the time! (I also love how they call trash cans "BINS", so they
say, "put your rubbish in the bin".)



Muesli Bars instead of. . .
Granola Bars


Togs instead of. . .
Swim suit or Bathing suit

(I love when the kids ask me if I'm going to
wear my togs to swim with them during swimming time). 



Lift instead of. . .
Elevator



Cloak Room instead of. . .
Mud Room


Chips instead of. . .
Fries

(this one really confuses me at times because I'm so obsessed with
chips and get confused if they mean chip chips or fries chips)



EN ZED instead of. . .
N Z (for New Zealand)

All Z's are pronounced Zed here!


Flying Fox instead of. . .
Zip-line


Adding "AS" to the end of everything to give it emphasis. . .
cool as; cold as; hot as; small as; big as; empty as; nice as; long as; loud as;
sweet as; mean as; rude as; scared as. . .e.t.c.


(depending on the person) Loo instead of. . .
Bathroom or Toilet


Rubber(s) instead of. . .
Eraser(s)

And they say "rub" instead of erase. It's funny to hear the teachers say, "can
you come and rub off my board for me." Or Mrs. Tararo's personal favorite
is to yell, "We do NOT use RUBBERS in this class!!"


Mate(s) instead of. . .
Friend(s)




















For those of you who missed PART  1. . .click on that link :)!

Kia Ora


2 comments:

  1. I love all that you are learning in NZ Mandy...so interesting the differences in cultures in different parts of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love everything I am learning too. It really is so fascinating! I look at that first post I did on the culture and how much I have learned since then....it is insane. I can't believe I have been able to spend the time here like I have. What a neat experience!

      Delete