Sunday, March 11, 2012

Pasifika Festival, Pineapple ice cream included

Did you know that. . .
  • New Zealand has the largest population of Polynesians in the world. 
  • New Zealand holds a Pasifika Festival every year, which is the biggest in the world and features songs, dances, arts, stories, and foods, from 10 villages -- Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands, Tokelau, Niue, Kiribati, Tuvalu, Tahiti, Fiji, and Aotearoa (NZ). 
  • I got to go to the Pasifika Festival on Saturday :)
. . .we walked through what felt like the Amazon to get
to the festival


. . .there were heaps and heaps of people...and heaps and heaps of things
to see and do

. . .that's pretty insane!



. . .this girl got a tattoo as we watched it live


. . .they just put ink on the skin and hit that knife really fast to
make the ink go in

. . .there is such a thing as pineapple ice cream (literally ice cream in a
pineapple) and I was so jealous when I saw people eating it all day long

. . .you can really drink straight out of a coconut

. . .I'm going to try and make this when I get home 


. . .Kiribati guy dancers can move their feet REALLY fast

. . .the whole festival took place around a big lake

. . .Maori's cook their meat in a pit in the ground called a Hangi




. . .Aotearoa is the Maori word for New Zealand

. . .islander people are some of the nicest people you
will ever meet. when we didn't bring any cash with
us because we didn't think about not being able to
use our cards at the tents, Phil's mom bought us all
 corn on the cobs after we told her a million
times we were ok.

(this picture also makes me think of Andrew and his
corn on the cob that he eats in Texas.)

. . .Cook Islands dancers can shake their hips EXTREMELY fast. it's crazy
to watch




. . .this map shows the 10 villages. we went to all of them and were there
from 9 am until about 3:30 pm!

. . .my teacher, Mrs. Tararo, is from the Cook Islands

. . .we live here in New Zealand (this is the Maori word for NZ)

. . .these are NZ birds called Pukekos and they are used in the NZ version
of the song "On the Twelve Days of Christmas". it goes, "on the first day
of Christmas my true love gave to me, a Pukeko in a Pongo tree."

. . .our host dad Phil is from Tonga



. . .more and more people came as it got later on in the day

. . .Samoa has some of the funniest, coolest, dances!

. . .Margo and Brooke finally found pineapple ice cream after going to
several different villages to find it (since it was all sold out everywhere)

4 comments:

  1. 1. That picture of the Amazon is what it looks like behind our house and some trails and stuff! You guys need to come over!
    2. How did you not bring cash?? Haha I bought so much stuff there! It was probably not a good thing actually
    3. The pineapple ice cream sold out?? haha. Where we bought it from had heaps and heaps
    4. I can't believe we didn't see you! Or anyone from our group. haha i don't know what we were doing all day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. uhhhh yeah definitely!!!! I still want to go on that run that you guys go on....I'm jealous!
      2. I have no idea how we forgot to get cash the day before. It was the dumbest thing we've ever done though lol. I was so sad we couldn't get anything.
      3. Yeah the ice cream was out at like 3 different villages that we went too...it was there at the beginning of the day, but towards the end it was all gone!
      4. I don't know how you guys didn't find us either. We pretty much found everyone that was there, except you guys! I'm sorry...that is such a bummer!

      Delete
  2. Looks like so much fun! We are definitely trying the pineapple ice cream when you get back. Keep the posts coming! We love being able to see what you are doing way over there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are for sure trying that ice cream when I get back! I hope it works out! Delicious!!! :) And don't worry, I will always keep the posts coming as long as everyone doesn't die of boredom from them haha jk. I always say this, but thank you for the comments. It's nice to know someone is reading my posts :)

      Delete