Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Beauty of Queenstown

For one of the activities that our hostel put on, we were able to hike to the top of the gondola and see the look out of all of Queenstown. A few of us wanted do something active so we decided to go. When we asked if we needed to wear tennis shoes and active wear, the workers at the front desk said it wasn't that rigorous of a hike and we'd be find in our jandels (a.k.a flip-flops). Right before leaving, our hiking guide was like..ummmm..you're going to want to change into some tennis shoes, this is a pretty steep hike. So we all rushed up and changed into our hiking shoes and some of us changed into hiking clothes, but I didn't think it would be too bad so I didn't. BAD IDEA. It was literally an incline the whole way up. We were feeling the burn within the first like 5 minutes and it was a pretty long hike. By the time we got to the top we were sweating non stop haha! But the hike was definitely worth it because the VIEW WAS BEAUTIFUL! We got to see all of Queenstown from above like it is shown in all of the postcards. It was a pretty site to see. 

After the hike we got some vouchers, for doing the activity, to the bar and get a $5.00 meal and a free drink. We all ended up getting pizzas for our meal, and I got apple juice for my drink. It was yummy :). Pizza in New Zealand is not the same though, they put a sort of sweet sauce on it so the taste is different overall. I'm not really a big fan of it (I like our pizza back home better haha), but it was good to eat after being tired and hungry from the hike!

Getting started on our hike up the mountain

It was so steep

I should have changed my clothes

Such a beautiful view of Queenstown



Yeah we are sweaty after that hike. And I'm just in regular clothes!!

Ah I can't get enough of how PRETTY it is :)

Most of our hiking group. Our guide was the girl in the green on the right.

All of our hiking group!


This is zoomed in to show where our hostel was. We walked a long ways. 

Look out from the other way
Old fashion gondola

Back on ground level

There was this HUGE old tree by all the shops....so I climbed it :)

Ordering our $5.00 pizza and free drinks. The bartender was like....uhhh
you all want soft drinks? haha 

I got apple juice. Margo and Brooke ordered lemonade, but they forgot
that lemonade means sprite here in NZ, so they actually got sprite!
I was so happy that I chose apple juice, cus I don't like sprite. 

NZ pizza. Yes I ate it allllllllll!!!! But I must say that I like American pizza
a lot better. 


No comments:

Post a Comment