Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Hip to the Hop with Bieber

My teacher, Mrs. Tararo, is in charge of a lunch time activity called Culture. Every Thursday during lunch, the students come to Culture to learn dances from different cultures. They have learned a Samoan dance, will be learning a Cook Island dance, a Maori dance, and many others. All of the dances they learn, they will be performing at a big culture festival in May against other schools (I am so sad I will be back in America and will miss it). 

The other day Mrs. Tararo was asking me questions about myself and found out that I am a dancer. Light bulb haha. She asked me if I could make up a hip-hop dance to teach during "culture" that they could perform for the festival. So I did!

Today was my first day teaching it and I'll continue to teach them every Thursday until I leave. This was only the first day and they were doing great. I can't wait to finish it up and help them to get it so that they can do it on their own!!!

The kids loved it too, which was the best part of all. They kept coming up to me at school all day long asking if I was going to teach hip-hop (said in their cute accents). A lot of them love Justin Bieber, so I chose one of his songs, "somebody to love", and they were excited haha. I LOVE THESE NZ KIDS!


What a fun opportunity to teach them hip-hop :)
Watch the video and see how cute they are!



They started the Culture Dance Class with a Samoan dance that these
little year 5/6 girls taught.

Getting ready to teach my hip-hop dance. The kids were so excited.
They kept asking me all day long if I was going to teach hip-hop today.







Wahoo. We'll learn the rest next week and then keep reviewing it after
that!!

8 comments:

  1. How come you never taught me that dance?!? That is so fun you got to do that! It is so cute to see those little New Zealanders dancing hip hop, they've got rythym.

    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made it up last night haha!! I'll have to teach it to you when I get home! They have way good rythm it's crazy. They are so cute I love them so much :)

      Delete
  2. You are an amazing teacher! They were doing great! I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan!! I loved it too and can't wait to keep teaching them this week :)

      Delete
  3. Love it Mandy...so fun to see you teach the children an American hip hop dance. Looks like so much fun!!!!! I can tell they like doing it with you too. So cute Miss Welch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mom. It was soooo much fun. I was so excited when my teacher asked me if I could do it. And the kids LOVE it! They think it is the coolest thing ever to get to do hip-hop! I can't wait to keep teaching them this week :)

      Delete
  4. Sooo cute. They were great, as were you. I love reading your posts!I am so glad that you get to do this! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nessa!! It was good to hear from you guys for a bit last night :). I love being here and experiencing all of this. It truly is amazing!

      Delete