Sunday, February 12, 2012

Milford Sound

One day we were able to drive for 4 1/2 hours up to Milford Sound (and then 4 1/2 hours back to Queenstown). It was A LOT of driving, but I loved being able to see the beauty around us as we drove, and Milford Sound was definitely worth it. Once we got to Milford Sound we took a cruise ship to see all the beautiful sites. To explain a little bit, Milford Sound is a fjord where glaciers have cut through mountains creating waterways from the ocean. There were glaciers, rainbows forming off of waterfalls, mountains two times the size of the Empire State Building, and even seals tanning on a rock.  

The pictures do not even show how TALL the mountains were. It was insane looking up at these mountains that seemed to go on for ever and ever. The beauty that surrounded us overall was absolutely AMAZING; it was truly breath taking. Milford Sound is definitely something I would recommend doing if you ever go to New Zealand, it was at the top of my list.  



The drive to Milford Sound




NZ is so beautiful



This kind of shows how big the mountains are. . . 
This was one of the longest, darkest, tunnels I have ever been in.
We rolled all the windows down and sang songs as loud as we could so
that the cars behind us would hear us singing through the tunnel.
It was loud, dark, and fun!

Inside the tunnel


We have arrived at Milford Sound
Getting ready for our cruise


There's our cruise ship

All aboard!!

. . .Here. . .We. . .Go. . .

Milford Sound

My hair was blowing so much so I had to tie it up

Simply Beautiful

Trying to hold down my hair :)

One of the waterfalls

Trying to show you how big the mountain is but you
can't tell at all. They were literally HUGE.





All the girls enjoying the cruise

It started getting all like misty and was really pretty


Me and Margo sitting on the deck

I want to go back right now. It was so beautiful.

Get ready for the SEALS!

There they are

Look! I saw seals!

One even jumped in the water for us haha

Me, Emily, Natalie, Brooke T., and Amanda

Me and my roomies. The ship went right under that
waterfall shortly after this picture was taken. 


Rainbow from the waterfall



There's that mist again...so cool!

This is one of my favorite pictures. I think it
shows the height a little better, and I just love
how GREEN and blue everything was!


Finally got my hair to work. (Oh Nisha let me borrow
her green jacket cus I only had a light one and the
South Island was supposed to be colder than
the North!)


Glacier


No comments:

Post a Comment