Thursday, February 16, 2012

Powhiri Ceremony

On Valentines Day, February 14th 2012, we were officially welcomed into the New Zealand primary schools and the country of New Zealand. There was a welcoming ceremony held for all 20 of us BYU girls and Ramona at my primary school, Ranui. The welcome ceremony is called a Powhiri, pronounced po-f-iri because the "wh" makes an "f" sound in Maori. The powhiri is a main part of the Maori culture and is a ceremony of welcome that involves, dances, speeches, singing, and hongi. 

Here's what takes place during a powhiri:


To start is the Karanga

For the Karanga we were not allowed to enter the school grounds until we removed our shoes because it is tradition. Once we entered onto the grounds and removed our shoes we waited until two young girls started giving us our call of welcome.


















~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As they gave us their call (singing in Maori with their hands held up and walking backwards), we began to walk forward slowly into the main room.



















~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once we entered into the hall where everyone was there to welcome us, we were overpowered by all the school kids singing to us in Maori. Then the students began to sing the New Zealand national anthem in Maori and then English. It was one of my most favorite, memorable, experiences here in NZ so far. To hear these young kids sing their hearts out for their country, culture, and school brought such a touching spirit. It literally gave me chills and I was on the verge of tears. I don't think I will ever forget the feeling that I felt as we were presented into the room and sung to by the sweet NZ children.






















~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next is the Whaikorero.

This is where each party gives a speech in Maori. It is tradition that the male representing the females always gives the speech. So Chris (our instructor Ramona's husband), gave the speech to represent us. He did it in the form of a Ko Au Tenei that we also learned how to do in our Literacy class back in January. The format goes like this:

Ko_______________ taku ingoa (my name is. . .)
Ko_______________ taku maunga (my mountain is. . .)
Ko_______________ taku Whenua (my land is. . .)
Ko_______________ taku Moana (my ocean/water is. . .)
Ko_______________ taku awa (my river is. . .)
Ko_______________ taku marae (my home is. . .)
Ko_______________ taku iwi (my people/family/tribe/ethnicity is. . .)
Ko_______________ taku waka (my ship/mote of transport is. . .)
Ko_____me_______  taku Matua (. . .are my parents)
Ko_______________ taku ingoa (my name is. . .)

kia ora koutou katoa (greetings to you all)

Chris speaking


















~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After Chris gave our speech we followed the next part of the powhiri, the Waiata.

Waiata means "song" in Maori and so we all got to sing a Maori song that we had learned and practiced back in our Literacy class. The song we sang was called Te Ahora and the words are the following:

Te Aroha
Te Whakapono
Me te rangimarie
Tatou, tatou e.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After our song the Koha took place.
This is where the female representing the group gives a gift of thanks.



And the last part of the ceremony includes the Hongi.

This is where us visitors are PHYSICALLY welcome. The hongi consists of shaking hands while pressing foreheads together, touching noses, and inhaling each others air. This signifies the joining together of our different groups.
This is what the hongi looks like




Here's us actually doing the hongi. 



















~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To close the powhiri ceremony there is a meal that is presented and shared together. This is called the Hakari. It was a lot of food and I kind of pigged out!


heaps and heaps of food!

Look, Emperor's New Groove spinach puffs :)

Valentines Day lollies (candies)
Closest thing I am going to get to home. I still am having chip with drawls.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And that's the powhiri ceremony! Then we just got to go teach for the rest of the day.


Powhiri announcement

Margo, Me, Brittany, and Brooke at our Ranui Primary School right
after the Powhiri. 

The principals from each of the schools that host us BYU girls. Our
Ranui principal is the woman in the middle.
Our group



VIDEOS to be posted soon! 
But here's one to get started while the rest 
are loading.

2 comments:

  1. Mandy! That is all sooo cool!!! Wow! I seriously can't believe the experiences you're having over there!! Things you'll never forget!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I have loved every minute. It is unbelieveable everything I am experiencing. I am so blessed to be here!

      Delete